Up until now, we have been focusing our Cherwell Software blog postings around the Cherwell Service Management (CSM) solution, and rightly so. It is sleek, scalable, can be cloud-hosted or client-hosted, and includes a all-in-one module approach out-of-the-box that is appealing to many. Today, let's take a quick look at the add-on module of the Cherwell Discovery and Inventory solution.
Like many other asset discovery tools, Cherwell Discovery and Inventory auto-finds any asset with an IP address, auto-logs information about each found asset, and presents that data in a variety of way depending on the discovery rules you define.
At the moment, v3.6 of the application has the following capabilities:
- detects details of Windows / Mac OS servers
- comes with 30 out-of-the-box attributes per discovered server, but, can be increased to an unlimited amount of attributes per your requirements
- is an agent-less scanner, meaning, from a single application server within your network, the application can discover all IP addresses within that network without installing anything on any other server
- is fully integratable with your Cherwell Service Management (CSM) application, in order to help build a real-time configuration item (CI) database, the Cherwell CMDB, for incident, problem and change management uses
- uses a variety of standard protocols and tools such as ICMP, SNMP, and Nmap; individual ranges of IP addresses, subnets, or entire network searches can be specified and all discovered assets are identified and stored in the Cherwell Device Manager
A couple things to be aware of:
- A configuration scheduler is needed per network. Most clients have only one network, but, if they have more than one, than additional configuration schedulers will be needed.
- Of course, you will need domain-wide access for each server in order to discover attributes for each server within that domain. It is always a good idea to have this access in hand before beginning setup of the software.
- Cherwell's software roadmap for the Cherwell Discovery & Inventory solution includes the pending functionality of:
- performing software license management and the ability to reconcile that data
- auto-creating dependency mappings based on the rules you define
- adding the ability to discover Linux OS servers, routers, phones, etc.
- scanning via an agent-based scanning architecture, in order to manipulate discovered data on each discovered server
Check out a demo of the Cherwell Discovery & Inventory solution via Cherwell. You will need to log in to the Cherwell Community in order to see the video. Note that back in January 2012, the solution was marketed as Cherwell Asset Intelligence, but, you will get the idea of what the solution can do immediately, regardless of what it is called.
With Cherwell Discovery & Inventory, you attain domain access, set your discovery rules, run your scans, either as a scheduled scan or immediately, review your results, decide which CI's you wish to manage going forward, and then manage your inventory.
And, the best part is that the solution is sold at a flat rate, and fully integrated with CSM.
If you are a business who is thinking about starting an asset discovery process, Cherwell Discovery & Inventory seems like a very easy step forward to help you meet your goals.
Want to learn more? Let us know how we can help: