Techport Thirteen partner AMI believes that the BYOD ("bring your own device") [to work] movement is one that cannot be ignored. So much so, that they have launched their own iOS app as a mobile client for their AssetTrack solution.
Per the AMI website: "Demand is increasing for employees to use their own personal mobile devices for work. The BYOD movement can bring real advantages to improving IT Hardware Asset Management."
The idea, is that if an employee has a mobile device running the iOS operating system, they can install the AssetTrack app for iOS, and perform their work while using their preferred personal device. Work and personal are therefore more intertwined, creating happier employees, all while keeping the business moving forward. Win-win.
In the world of IT Asset Management (ITAM), BYOD could yield many advantages, including:
- Lower costs: Using mobile phone apps for barcode and Bluetooth scanning can cost thousands less than dedicated scanners. In addition, there’s much less time required in training a person in how to properly use an app – nearly anyone can learn in minutes.
- Increased accuracy: When more people are given the opportunity to quickly and easily track assets, there’s an increased likelihood that the assets will be tracked. Less inventory is “lost in the system” due to unaccounted movement.
- Fast and easy software updates: Upgrades to apps are wirelessly “pushed” to the mobile device through the Apple app distribution system. The user is alerted immediately to upload the latest version.
Specifically, when considering the AssetTrack app, the following jumps out:
- Scanning at a touch: Scanning a barcode with AssetTrack iOS is easier than taking a photo. The user simply touches the barcode icon and aims the iPhone’s camera at the barcode. The app also supports the Socket Bluetooth scanner. Almost instantly, accompanied by a confirming audio alert, the inventory appears on the phone’s screen.
- Instantly recognizes expected versus rogue inventory: If an asset’s model number already exists within the repository, it shows up on the screen in green. If the asset is new or otherwise unfamiliar, it shows up in red. Inputting the model and serial number of rogue inventory can be done in seconds.
- Assigning a location is just as easy: A touch brings forth a list of default locations, with very specific options, if desired. (Example: 123 Archer Street Office. 3rd Floor. Storage Room.) That’s it! The information obtained is instantly uploaded to the repository and can be included in any reports generated by the Asset Manager. And it’s just as easy to add detail such as support assignee, status and purchase order number.
In general, a mobile ITAM app is ideal for lower volume areas such as service departments or changing the location of an asset within an office building.
It’s important to note that the iOS app is a client of the larger AssetTrack system, which has met the needs of even the largest enterprises for over a decade. That means AMI has made certain that the app preserves key features – such as the ability to design your own forms and rules – to ensure clean data flowing into your asset repository.
Congratulations to AMI on their continual product improvements! Want to learn more about AMI or about their proven AssetTrack solution? Please let us know how we can help.