At the end of November, Cherwell Software announced the upcoming release of version 4.3 of the Cherwell Service Management (CSM) solution. The solution was then generally released to the public for consumption in December.
We at Techport Thirteen, as a new partner with Cherwell, are very excited to now be in the loop on such news and we look forward to bringing our blog readers details of each new CSM release.
As a reminder, Cherwell Service Management (CSM), developed by Cherwell Software, is a configurable, scalable, out-of-the-box service desk solution based on IT service management best practices and the ITIL framework.
v4.3 of the solution includes the following enhancements:
- SAML Support: Support for Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML), an XML-based open standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between Identity Providers and Service Providers to support Single-Sign-On (SSO) capability.
- Grid Enhancements: Filter, sort/multi-sort, reorder, add/remove columns, persistence, and increased color/icon Expression availability.
- Portal and Browser Client Enhancements: Dashboard/Form anchoring, additional Form support, popup Manager support, lock a Site Menu Bar, Action Catalog enhancements, back/forward button support, new wait cursor, simplified Search Control, and Customer password strength and expiration options.
- CSM Manager Enhancements: Search in CSM Managers, sort in a Manager Grid column, add items to the Task Pane/Toolbars, and Add to Queue improvements (Queue Manager).
- Security Enhancements: Password strength and expiration settings, different security settings for different clients, authentication logging, and reserve a license for a department.
- Form Editor Enhancements: Dynamically size a control, align an image in a form control, and vertically align text in a form control.
- Misc Enhancements: New interactive online help system, simplified Search Control, new Expressions and Operators, new Launch URL One-Step Action, Cherwell Discovery and Inventory (CDI) enhancements, iCherwell enhancements, and performance improvements.
For details about the new features listed above, and for additional release information, please refer to the v4.3 release notes. The full, help documentation for the release is also available online per Cherwell Support.
If you are an existing CSM client, and are curious about release 4.3, I encourage you to watch the webinar covering the release's highlights. In the Q&A portion at the end of the webinar, the presenter covers the following common upgrade situations:
- If on you are using CSM today via SaaS, a Cherwell rep will contact you to ask when/if you would you would like to proceed with the upgrade. Keep in mind that Cherwell does not require upgrades though, so this is completely your choice.
- If you are hosting the CSM solution yourself (non-SaaS), you can obviously upgrade whenever you like.
- If you did not upgrade to v4.0, that is ok, as you can go straight to v4.3.
Interested in learning more about v4.3 of the Cherwell Service Management solution, or about Cherwell Software in general? Let us know how we can help.